Twisted Pixel Games is seeking an accomplished Technical Designer to work with our team of experienced developers on an unannounced game. The candidate would be expected to work in several areas of game development, however, would be primarily tasked with technical design and gameplay-related functionality.
The ideal candidate will have excellent verbal and written communication skills, a team-oriented, collaborative approach to development, and be experienced in many areas of game development—including design and programming tasks related to a variety of subjects such as gameplay, animation, math, and tools. Candidate must be focused on the quality of their work, be able to complete any technical design task efficiently, and grasp new technologies and concepts quickly.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Conceptualize, implement, tune, and balance a broad variety of gameplay systems and mechanics.
- Design responsive and engaging character mechanics, interactions, and systems that contribute to the overall game design.
- Perform research to acquire new knowledge necessary to perform assigned tasks.
- Design and develop technical features specific to the game.
- Work closely with game designers, producers, engineers, and artists to ensure the highest quality product.
- Complete tasks in a timely fashion as well as making sure they are robust, expandable, and fun.
Skills & Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
- 3+ years of direct professional game design or game programming experience.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work in a team environment.
- Outstanding programming/scripting skills, including experience with C++.
- Ability to grasp complex systems.
- Strong sense of game design.
- Have a sense of urgency and be proactive about making things happen.
- Be passionate about games and game development.
- Experience with game scripting languages.
- Experience with designing combat/fighting games.
- Experience with Unreal Engine 4.
- Experience developing a multiplayer networked game.
- Experience working with a small team of animators and programmers.
- Experience working on a multiplatform game.
This position is located in Austin, Texas. You must be local to Austin prior to start date.
Relocation assistance is offered.
All applicants must currently be legally authorized to work in the U.S.
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
If you feel you have the passion, dedication and skills that match our unique company, apply to join our team! Please apply online at www.twistedpixelgames.com/careers
** Submissions without a link to a current portfolio will not be considered **
At Twisted Pixel Games you will have the opportunity to work on exciting new IPs and contribute to established, well-known titles. In a community-minded, independent studio environment, you’ll get to make your mark on our games in significant ways with people who share your passion for game development.
Enjoy Great Benefits and Perks Including:
- Major Medical, Dental, and Vision
- 401k with Company Matching
- Company-paid group life insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Flexible Work Schedule
- Frequent Team Outings and Fun Company Events
- Monthly Game Tournaments
- Open Office Environment with Close-Knit Team
- Stocked kitchen with complimentary snacks and drinks
Twisted Pixel Games is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Note to Third-Party Recruiters / Recruitment Agencies / Executive Search Firms: Twisted Pixel Games does not accept unsolicited resumes from third-party recruiters or recruiting agencies. Please do not forward unsolicited resumes to any employees of Twisted Pixel Games. Twisted Pixel is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
About the Company
Twisted Pixel is the award-winning studio behind a wide variety of console and virtual reality games. The studio’s first title, The Maw, was a 2009 IGF finalist and 2008 PAX 10 Audience Choice Award winner. Wilson’s Heart, their first collaboration with Oculus Studios, was the winner of the Best Virtual Reality Game at Gamescom in 2016.
Since 2006, Twisted Pixel has been focused on creating character-driven original games across various platforms, including Splosion Man, Comic Jumper, Ms Splosion Man, Kinect-exclusive The Gunstringer, Xbox One launch title LocoCycle, and Oculus exclusives Defector, B-Team and Path of the Warrior.