Senior Environment Tech Artist
343 Industries has one single mission: Build great Halo experiences. 343 Industries, part of Xbox Game Studios, is home to the game industries top talent and we are dedicated to the Halo universe. We build the stories, the worlds, and the gameplay that make Halo what it is today. And we need exceptional people to help us achieve that goal.
343 has an incredible opportunity for a motivated and highly experienced Senior Technical Artist. This role will specialize in defining and driving the development of tools and workflows for the Environment Art Team. Providing a clear vision and driving the implementation of future workflow needs.
You should have a deep understanding of modern, editor centric construction processes, pipelines and tools enabling artists to efficiently author large scale game environments. You are knowledgeable and up to date on modern trends in real time shaders, materials and texture map authoring. You are able to provide artists with technical reviews and guidance for best practices on real time performance of game environments. You have a well-developed eye for Visual Fidelity and how an artist’s workflow can improve visual quality.
You are expected to be extremely creative and highly collaborative with developers and artists. You must be effective in communicating and incorporating feedback. You will work closely with Lead Environment Artists, Tool\Engine Developers, Technical Artists and Technical Art Directors. The ideal candidate must be highly effective and positive in ambiguous situations, able to self-motivate to high performance, manage your time effectively and react quickly to changing requirements.
Skills & Requirements
- Take ownership of Environment Art workflow and tools to develop technology roadmaps
- Work closely with environment artists to identify, research and define artist workflow needs
- Provide specifications to developers building workflows, tools and rendering features
- Participate in production planning of new features and tools
- Constantly improve and advocate for best-in-class content creation and production practices
- Ensure all environment technical guidelines and performance requirements are met
- Work in ambiguity while still delivering timely and high-quality results
- Actively seeks out, incorporates and provides feedback to and from peers
Highly motivated and contributes to a positive working environment
- 5+ years of technical art experience for console and\or PC game
- 5+ years specializing technical art for real time games on console and PC
- 5+ years of developing in Python, HLSL or C++
- Thorough understanding of asset and world building construction processes and methods
- High degree of knowledge in state-of-the-art workflows and game engine editors like (UE4, Unity, Frostbite, etc.)
- Understand foundational art skills like light, shade, color, form and detail
- Knowledgeable with industry standard software like Maya, Blender, Houdini, Substance Designer, Zbrush
- Highly organized with excellent spoken and written communication skills
- Excellent Time management, Creative Process and Production Process skills
- Experience developing with C#, C++ and\or LUA
- Experience working with large and diverse teams while developing at scale
- Experience working on FPS or sci-fi games
All candidates must deliver a full resume with samples to be considered for this position.
Portfolio review and presentation will be required.
- Working remotely is an option
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
About the Company
343 Industries has a single mission: Build incredible Halo experiences. 343 Industries is part of Microsoft Studios, and the steward of the Halo universe. We build the stories, the worlds, and the gameplay that make Halo such an iconic and innovative franchise.
Halo is one of the largest entertainment properties in the world. With over 65 million games sold, New York Times best-selling novels, action figures, apparel and much, much more, this multi-billion dollar franchise has revolutionized console gaming and established a rich and expansive universe for its devoted fans. This is your chance to contribute your passion and vision to one of the most exciting intellectual properties and on one of the most talented teams in the industry.